Aâ€™s Walk Off Rays Late 4-3
The Rays came in Monday night and tried to do something few teams have done; beat the A’s in extra innings. At one point, the Rays were rolling along and had a nice lead, but one home run turned the whole game around.
The Athletics kicked off the scoring in the second inning with an RBI double by Chris Carter to score Yoenis Cespedes. Kurt Suzuki would hit him home two batters later with another RBI double to put Oakland up 2-0.
The Rays would answer with an RBI double of their own in the fourth. This one was by Carlos Pena and it drove in two runs to tie the game.
Matt Joyce would give the Rays the lead with a solo home run in the sixth. It was Joyce’s first home run since mid-June, and his 12th of the season.
Brandon Hicks tied the game at 3 with a solo home run off of David Price in the seventh inning.
Wade Davis worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the ninth to push the game into extra innings. The A’s would threaten again in the tenth with another bases loaded jam. Jake McGee would weave out of danger with a strikeout of Kurt Suzuki to end the inning.
The Rays put up threats in the 13th and 14th but could not score. Jemile Weeks had a sacrifice fly in the bottom of 15th that would score the winning run.
The Rays are now 53-50. The Orioles beat the Yankees. The Red Sox beat the Tigers. The Blue Jays lost to the Mariners. The Rays are now 7.5 game out of the Yankees in third place and are 3 games out of a playoff spot.
Notable Stat Lines
- David Price 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 11 K
- A.J. Griffin 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 6 K
- B.J. Upton (0-7) 2 K
- Ben Zobrist (2-6) BB
- Matt Joyce (1-4) HR, RBI
Rays News and Notes
- The series continues tomorrow night in Oakland. It will be Tommy Milone (9-7 3.51 ERA) vs. James Shields (8-7 4.52 ERA). First pitch is at 10:05.
- The trade deadline is tomorrow afternoon at 4:00 PM. Joe Maddon has told the media he believes the Rays will not make a move before the deadline. Check out The Daily Trop Tuesday afternoon for up-to minute coverage.
- With Fernando Rodeny’s save last night, he is now the quickest to 30 saves in Rays history.
- Evan Longoria went 1-3 with an RBI and walk Monday night at Triple- A Durham.