The Rays' offense struggled mightily Saturday night as they failed to score a run but managed to put 15 men on base. They put together six hits in the ballgame but didn't have a single extra-base hit.
Jeremy Hellickson didn't have such a great night either. His command got away from him as he walked four and allowed four runs in his brief four-inning outing. The walks absolutely destroyed Helly, as three of the four runs scored were runners who reached with the free pass.
The O's got the scoring started early when Matt Wieters singled home a run to put Baltimore up 1-0.
They got right back to it in the second, as Nick Markakis hit an RBI single to make it a 2-0 ballgame.
The Orioles delivered the big blow in the fourth when Chris Davis knocked in two runs with an RBI single to extend Baltimore's lead to four.
The Rays now stand at 56-51 and remain 6.5 back in the division and 1.5 games out of the Wild Card.
Notable Stat Lines:
- J. Hellickson (L,6-7): 8 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 4 K through 4.0 IP
- B. Zobrist: 2-3
- J.P. Howell: Perfect through 2.0 IP, 4 K
Rays News and Notes:
- Catcher Matt Wieters stole two bases in the game (both against Hellickson/Molina).
- J.P. Howell's scoreless inning streak has now extended to 20.
- Jeff Niemann (broken leg) is progressing well and could start a minor league rehab assignment as early as the middle of next week.
- The Rays attempt to win their fourth straight series Sunday afternoon as David Price (14-4, 2.64) squares off against Miguel Gonzalez (3-2, 4.46) to rap up the series with the Orioles. First pitch is at 1:40.