Cobb Pitches Rays to Series Win, Tampa Beats Oakland 4-1
Alex Cobb pitched seven fantastic as the Rays won Wednesday afternoon to take the series best-out-of-three from the A's.
Tampa kicked it off the top of the first with an RBI single by Matt Joyce to put the Rays up 1-0.
They struck again in the top of the fourth with an RBI single by Ryan Roberts to increase the lead to 2-0.
The A’s finally got to Cobb in the fifth, when Brandon Inge hit a solo home run to make it a 2-1 ballgame.
The Rays gave hemselves some insurance in the sixth. Carlos Pena hit an RBI double that scored Jeff Keppinger, and the Rays retook a two-run lead.
Pena added the final run of the game with a solo home run in the eighth to put the Rays up 4-1.
The Rays remain 6.5 games back of the Yankees in the division but they do move into a tie for second place and are just 1.5 games out of the Wild Card.
Notable Stat Lines
- Alex Cobb (W,5-8): 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K
- Jarrod Parker (L,7-5): 6 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 2 K
- Desmond Jennings: (1-2) R, 2 BB
- Matt Joyce: (1-4) RBI
- Jeff Keppinger: (2-4) 2 R
- Carlos Pena: (2-4) 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Ryan Roberts: (2-4) RBI
- click here for a full box score
Rays News and Notes
- Wednesday was the fourth time in franchise history that the Rays won three series in a road trip.
- Evan Longoria is expected to resume his rehab assignment in Durham Thursday.
- Hideki Matsui has been released by the Rays.
- Josh Lueke was optioned back down to Durham. A corresponding move will be made Friday.
- The Rays have the day off tomorrow. Their next game is against the Orioles at home on Friday. The pitching matchup will be Matt Moore vs. Tommy Hunter; first pitch is at 7:15.