The Rays opened up a huge three game series Tuesday night with the division rival Orioles. Jeremy Hellickson, the silent assassin, started against the O’s kicking off this nine game road stand.
The Orioles started off the scoring in the fourth inning with Adam Jones hitting a solo home run to put the O’s up 1-0.
Brooks Conrad changed the tides of the game quickly when he hit a two-run home run in the fifth to put the Rays up 2-1.
Jeff Keppinger added on a RBI single in the sixth to increase the Rays' lead to 3-1.
Fernando Rodney closed it out in the ninth for his 28th save of the season to improve the Rays to 50-47 on the season.
Notable Stat Lines
- Jeremy Hellickson W (5-6) 6.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 4 K
- Bruce Chen L(8-6) 6.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 5 H
- Fernando Rodney S(28) 1 IP, 0 H, 2 BB, 2 K ERA now 0.81
- Jeff Keppinger (2-4) RBI
- Sam Fuld season debut (1-3) R, SB
- Brooks Conrad (1-3) R, HR, 2 RBI
- click here for a full box score
Rays News and Notes
- Evan Longoria had a good workout Tuesday afternoon and now Joe Maddon and the training staff believe he could be one work out away from a rehab assignment which could start when the road trip begins.
- The Rays and Angels have been talking about moving James Shields to LA for Ervin Santana, Peter Bourjos, and Hank Conger. These are just rumors, but this one seems to be gaining attention.
- The Rays have acquired 3B Ryan Roberts from Arizona in exchange for Double-A 2B Tyler Botnick.
- Tonight the Rays look to take Game 2 of this series as they send their ace David Price to the mound to take on Miguel Gonzalez. First pitch is at 7:05 PM.