It took them 12 innings, but the Rays got it done Monday night at Tropicana field with a walk off single by Elliot Johnson. The Rays won the pitching duel 3-2. This gave the Rays a 15-8(9-1 at home) record to close out the month of April. Felix Hernandez was golden for Seattle going 8 innings and only allowing one run on 5 hits. Jeremy Hellickson went toe for toe with the former Cy Young winner going 7 innings and only allowing 1 run on 6 hits.
The Mariners started the scoring with the solo home run in the second inning by Miguel Olivo. The Rays matched them right away when they scored in the bottom half of the inning with a RBI single by Sean Rodriguez. In the sixth inning, with Ben Zobrist on first base, Carlos Pena hit a shot into right-center field that hopped over the wall for a ground-rule double stopping Zobrist from scoring. If that ball would have stayed in the park, this game could have been over in the ninth inning. Instead the ball game went into extra’s.
The Mariners scored in the 11th inning with a home run by Jesus Montero off Wade Davis. Seattle put in Brandon League to close it out. However the Rays’ started threatening with a lead-off double by Luke Scott. With two outs in the inning, B.J. Upton would single in the pinch runner Jeff Keppinger to tie the game at two.
J.P. Howell would sit them down in the 12th. The Rays started with inning with a one-out single by Ben Zobrist. Carlos Pena would then single to put Ben in scoring position. Elliot Johnson would finish it from there and the Rays were 3-2 walk off winners in the 12th.
Click here for a full box score
- Felix Hernandez 8 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 9 K
- Jeremy Hellcikson 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 7 K
- Jake MaGee 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Wade Davis 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 K
- Fernando Rodney 1 IP, 2 H, 1 K
- J.P. Howell Win. 1 IP, 1 BB,
- Carlos Pena. 3-5, BB
- Elliot Johnson. 1-3. BB, RBI
- Ben Zobrist. 0-3. 3 BB, R
- B.J. Upton. 3-5. RBI
- Evan Longoria left the game early Monday night after a awkward slide into second. Not much info is known at this time, but the Rays’ are crossing their fingers with this one.
- Tomorrow night is game two of this series. Matt Moore will face Hector Nosei. First pitch is at 6:40 PM.