Price Not Right As Rays Fall To Rangers 6-5
David Price was looking to notch his 17th win of the season Monday night against Texas; however, the Rangers had different plans. The Rangers are a good fastball-hitting team and David Price is a pitcher who throws a lot of fastballs. Price kept throwing his favorite pitch Monday night and the Rangers hit him hard. The teams continued to exchange blows every inning untill the game came to a end. What can you except when the best pitching team and best hitting team in the American League face each other.
Evan Longoria got the Rays off to a great start with a two-run home run in the first inning to put Tampa Bay up 2-0.
The Rangers instantly came back and hit back to back home runs in the second. The first solo homer was by the red hot Adrian Beltre. The second shot was by Nelson Cruz. These homers tied the game at two.
David Price continued to struggle in the inning as he alowed another run on a groundout by Mike Olt that scored Michael Young.
B.J. Upton tied it up right away in the top of the third with a sac fly to center field to score Desmond Jennings.
The Rangers once again struck right back in the bottom of the third with an 2 run double by Adrian Beltre to put Texas up 5-3.
The Rays came back again with an RBI triple by B.J. Upton in the fifth to score Jennings and make it 5-4.
The next batter Ben Zobrist hit an RBI single to drive in Upton and tie the game up at five.
The Rangers responded again in the bottom half of the fifth with an RBI single by Adrian Beltre to give the Rangers the lead 6-5.
The Texas bullpen shut the Rays out from there with Ogando, Adams, and Nathan to finish off the game and take game one of the series.
The Rays are now 70-58. They fall down to a half game back of the wild card now looking up at Oakland and Baltimore. They remain four games down on the Yankees.
notable stat lines
- David Price L (16-5) 4 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 0 BB, 3 K
- Derek Holland W(9-6) 6 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Adrian Beltre (3-3) HR, 4 RBI, BB, R
- Desmond Jennings (2-4) 2 R, 3B
- B.J. Upton (1-3) R, 3B, 2 RBI
- Evan Longoria (2-4) R, HR, 2 RBI
Rays news and notes
- Sean Rodriguez has a unknown hand injury and will be checked out Tuesday. This may effect his return to the Rays.
- Tomorrow the series continues with James Shields (12-7 4.01 ERA) taking on Yu Darvish (12-9 4.51 ERA). First pitch is at 8:05 EST.