There’s been a lot of offense in this series and tonight it did not go the Rays' way. The Rays lost 7-2 Saturday night at Rangers Ballpark. Jeff Niemann probably turned in his best start against Texas ever, but it wasn’t enough as his bullpen and defense failed him. Niemann went 5.2 innings only allowing 3 runs (2 earned), 3 walks and 4 strikeouts.
Josh Hamilton had a 2-RBI single in the 1st inning to start it off for Texas. Matt Joyce would homer in the second to make it 2-1.
There was no scoring till the bottom of the 6th when the Rangers scored via a fielding error. That was the end of Niemann’s night. He would end up with the loss.
A three-run home run by Beltre and a fielding error would kill the Rays as 4 runs scored in the bottom of the 7th. Longoria doubled in a run in the next half inning to try to mount a comeback but it was too little too late. Colby Lewis pitched well and the Rangers took game 2 of this three game series.
The Rays now have a record of 13-8 (5-7 away). They play the rubber game of this sereis tommrow night at 8. Jeremy Hellickson will take the mound for the Rays.
Here are some notables:
- Jeff Niemann (L, 1-3) 5.2 IP, 5 H,2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Colby Lewis (W, 3-0) 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 5 K
- Burke Bandenhop 1.0 IP 3 H, 4 ER, 2 K
- Josh Hamilton 2-3, 2 RBI
- Matt Joyce 1-3. HR, RBI
- Evan Longoria 2-4. 2B, RBI
Rays news and notes:
- Tomorrow night's game will be on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, David Price takes the mound against Derek Holland at 8:05 ET.
- Jose Monlina committed one of the Rays’ two errors on the night, continuing his less than average performace thus far.