The Rays looked like a completely different ballclub Friday night at the Trop against the Marlins. Matt Moore turned in what was probably his best outing of the year throwing 7 shutout innings. The combined shut out was completed from the bullpen by Burke Badenhop and Brandon Gomes.
The Rays scored three runs in the bottom of the second, a run in the third, and two runs in the fifth. They topped it off with 5 runs in the seventh. These runs included an RBI double from Jose Lobaton, a bases-clearing double from Desmond Jennings, a solo homer from Ben Zobrist, two RBI singles by Will Rhymes, and RBI singles from Matt Joyce and Sean Rodriguez.
The Rays improve to 36-28 on the year. The Yankees won Friday, but Boston and Baltimore both lost. The Rays remain 2.5 games behind the Yankees and are now just a game behind the O's.
Notable Stat Lines
- Matt Moore (W,4-5) 7 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
- Carlos Zambrono (L,4-5) 2 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 6 BB, 3 K
- Desmond Jennings (2-5) R, 4 RBI
- Matt Joyce (1-4) BB, RBI
- Ben Zobrist (2-3) 2 R, BB, RBI
- Carlos Pena (0-1) 4 BB, 4 R
- Sean Rodriguez (1-1) RBI
- Jose Lobaton (1-3) 2 R,BB, RBI
- Will Rhymes (2-3) 2 RBI
- click for a full box score
Rays News and Notes
- The Rays called up right-handed reliever Brandon Gomes yesterday to replace Luke Scott on the active roster.
- The Mets' appeal for an R.A. Dickey no-hitter was denied by MLB, as the original scoring of a B.J. Upton single was held up.
- Jeff Keppinger (broken toe) began his minor league rehab assignment last night with Triple-A Durham. He went 1-4 with an RBI as the DH of the Bulls, and is scheduled to play the field tonight. Kepp could return to the Rays as early as the middle of next week.
- Evan Longoria (hamstring) will begin his minor league rehab assignment and play DH for the Bulls tonight. He's scheduled to play third Sunday, and is also targeting a return sometime in the middle of next week.
- Kyle Farnsorth (elbow) is progressing well in his rehab assignment and expects to return sometime between June 28-July 4.
- The Rays will continue this Sunshine State Series Saturday night at the Trop. James Shields (7-4 4.06 ERA) will take the hill versus Anibel Sanchez (3-5 3.40 ERA). First pitch is at 7 :15 ET.