Rays' Bats Back Niemann's injury in 7-1 Win
Jeff Niemann left the game in the second inning of Monday’s game with an ankle injury. The Rays’ bullpen responded beautifully along with the bats as well as the Rays beat the Blue Jays 7-1.
Adam Lind hit a sharp grounder right back into Jeff’s Niemann’s ankle in the first inning. He left in the second and the bullpen would be asked to put in 8 innings. Cesar Ramos started by going 3 innings while only letting up one run. Wade Davis pitched two scoreless innings in the 5th and 6th. He was followed up by J.P Howell, Burke Badenhop, and Jake McGee. The bullpen came in and pitched 8 Innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 5 walks, and 9 strikeouts in an outstanding effort
The Rays’ had plenty of hitting too. Elliot Johnson got the Rays on the board with an RBI single in the top of the 5th to tie it up at 1. Ben Zobrist scored later in the inning to make it 2-1. Luke Scott’s 2 RBI single and a 2 RBI double by Sean Rodriguez topped off the 6-run 5th inning. Five of the six runs in that inning were a result from a missed call at first, when Matt Joyce slid safely to extend the inning while further replay showed he was actually out.
Ben Zobrist homered in the 9th to end the scoring for the night.
The Rays are now 22-14.Notable Stat Lines
- Jeff Niemann: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
- Cesar Ramos (W,1-0) 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 3 K’s
- Jake McGee 1 IP, 1 H, 3 K’s.
- Ben Zobrist 1-4. HR(6)
- Sean Rodriguez 2-4. 2 RBI’s
- Luke Scott 1-4. 2 RBI’s
- Elliot Johnson 1-2. 2 BB’s, RBI
- Brandon Morrow (L,4-2). 5 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 7 K’s.
News and Notes
- Desmond Jennings has been placed on the 15-day DL with that nagging knee sprain. Stephen Vogt (0-13) was recalled.
- Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Niemann has a fracture in his leg; will miss at least 4-6 weeks.
- Hideki Matsui is expected to make his debut with Triple-A Durham tonight.
- The Rays signed outfielder Ryan Garko (former major leaguer) to a minor league deal. He's expected to join Double-A Montgomery to start the year.
- The Rays next game is Tuesday night in Toronto. They will look for the 2-game sweep. David Price will square off against Henderson Alvarez; first pitch is at 7:07 PM.