The Rays were victorious again Tuesday night in Toronto with a nail-biting 4-3 win. Besides one bad inning, David Price was stellar in seven innings. The Rays offense continues to be lead by replacements such as Will Rhymes, Sean Rodriguez, and also Elliot Johnson as of late.
The scoring started in the third inning with a 3-run inning by Toronto led by a 2-run homer by Edwin Encarnacion.
The Rays struck back in the 5th with an RBI double by Ben Zobrist to make it 3-1.
The Rays added 3 runs in the 7th inning. Sean Rodriguez hit his third home run of the season to cut Toronto's lead to just one. Later in the inning, Elliot Johnson singled in a run to tie up the game. B.J. grounded into a double play to score the go ahead run.
Fernando Rodney closed it out again, still perfect in saves, but it seems like he got some help from home plate umpire Bill Miller. During rookie Brett Lawrie's at-bat, Rodney got the benefit of the doubt to strikeout Lawrie with two straight controversial called strikes to comeback from a 3-1 count.
As you can see, itt's clear that Lawrie should of walked on the 3-1 pitch, which was way outside. But the 3-2 pitch, however, was borderline. The miscall(s) lead to an immediate ejection of Lawrie, who flipped out after being rung up. His tantrum will likely lead to an ejection and a pretty large fine. Check out a video of the scene over at MLB.com.
The Rays are now 23-14 (10-11 road), and have a 2.5 game lead over New York and are tied with Baltimore atop the division. The Rays out hit the Jays 12-6 in this game, and committed two errors.
- David Price (W,6-2) 7 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Henderson Alvarez (L,3-3) 6.2 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 1 K
- Joel Peralta 1 IP, 0 H
- Fernando Rodney (S,11) 1 IP, 2 K
- Ben Zobrist (3-5). RBI
- Matt Joyce 2-4.
- Sean Rodriguez 1-4. HR, RBI
- Will Rhymes 2-4. 2 R’s
- . Jose Bautista. 1-4. RBI
News and Notes:
- Jeff Niemann broke a bone in his foot and has been placed on the DL. It appears that Alex Cobb or Chris Archer will replace him (per Marc Topkin), you can read more about it here.
- Josh Leuke will join the Rays' bullpen, as he gets called up to replace Niemann on the 25-man roster.
- The Next game is tomorrow night at 7 PM. The Rays return to Tropicana Field to play the Boston Red Sox in a two-game series. The pitching matchup will be Jeremy Hellickson versus Clay Buchholz.