Alex Cobb made his first start of the second half Monday night at Tropicana Field, facing Zach McAllister, who made his second start of the season against the Rays. The Rays played another mentally detached game of baseball. They had to play catch-up all game and put themselves in tough spots. They gave the Indians the chance to win, and the Indians took it.
The tribe started off the scoring in the first with a passed ball by Jose Molina that scored Shin-Soo Choo. Choo—the leadoff hitter—had a home run reversed earlier in the inning but would end up scoring anyway.
The Indains would strike again in the top of third when Shin-Soo Choo hit an RBI double driving in Johnny Damon. They added another run in that same inning with an RBI double by Jason Kipnis making it 3-0.
The Rays put a run on the board in the fourth when Jeff Keppinger hit an RBI single to drive in B.J. Upton.
Desmond Jennings dropped a bomb down the left-field line in the 7th inning to bring the Rays closer 3-2.
Chris Perez closed it out for his 26th save of the season. The Rays drop to 46-44. The Orioles lost to the Twins so the Rays avoid losing ground to them. Unfortunately, the Yankees beat the Blue Jays to improve their division lead to 9.5 games over the Rays, and Tampa Bay is now tied for third with Boston due to a Red Sox victory.
Notable Stat Lines
- Alex Cobb L(4-6) 3.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 3 K
- Zach McAlllister W(4-1) 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 5 K
- Will Rhymes (0-3) 2 BB
- B.J. Upton (1-2) R, 2 BB
- Desmond Jennings (2-3) HR, RBI
- Jeff Keppinger (1-3) BB, RBI
- click here for a full box score
Rays News and Notes
- James Shields name has hit rumors recently. MLBTradeRumors.com has more on the situation.
- Matt Joyce went 1-5 in his second game of his rehab stint with Single-A. He went 1-3 with an RBI double in his first game. Joyce is very close and could return actually return to the lineup today. He Tweeted "I’m baaaaaaack!! Driving home from Daytona now, see u guys on the field [Tuesday]!"
- When Joyce is activated the Rays have a choice between three candidates to be demoted to make room for Joyce: Hideki Matsui, Brooks Conrad, or Will Rhymes.
- Sam Fuld went 1-3 in his first rehab game with Durham (was with Charlotte before).
- Tomorrow the series continues with Matt Moore (5-6, 4.42) taking on Chris Tomlin (5-5, 4.45). First pitch is at 7:10 PM.