The Rays hoped to start the month of July off on the right foot, leaving their June woes behind. It wouldn't be that way today, however, as the Rays fell again to Detroit to lose the series 3 out of 4.
The Rays got on the scoreboard first against the Tigers and rookie southpaw Drew Smyly. An RBI sac fly off the bat of B.J. Upton gave the Rays a 1-0 lead, which would be the only lead Tampa would have in the game.
Coming off his career-worst start, Alex Cobb looked sharp early on. He eventually ran into trouble in the top of the fourth, though, when the Tigers took advantage of a Brooks Conrad error. Conrad misfielded a groundball that would of leaded to a double play, which would of resulted in two outs with nobody on. Instead, Detroit loaded the bases with nobody out.
Ryan Raburn was the next batter, and lined an game-tying RBI single. With the bases still loaded and nobody out, Cobb worked his way out of a huge jam, getting out of the inning with limited damage done and only one unearned run allowed.
The Tigers went right back to work in the fifth, though. Cobb got himself into another big jam, and escaped with just two runs via back-to-back sac flies by Delmon Young and Alex Avila.
The Rays responded in the bottom half of the inning, getting a run back on a Hideki Matsui RBI single and then tying the game at three with an RBI double by Jose Molina.
Cobb would continue to struggle in the sixth, as Detroit retook the lead. An Austin Jackson RBI single made it a 4-3 game, and ended Cobb's outing. Jake McGee replaced him, and eventually faced Prince Fielder with two runners on and two outs later in the inning. Fielder slapped the 0-2 pitch up the middle to keep the rally alive and extend their lead to two.
The Rays would not come back, as both bullpens were lights out in this game (no runs allowed by either 'pen).
The Rays fall to 41-38 on the season, and continue to dig themselves a bigger hole in the AL East. The Yankees won their game, and extend their lead over Tampa to 7.5 games. Baltimore lost and remain 1.5 games over the Rays.
Notable Stat Lines:
- A. Cobb (L,3-5): 8 H, 4 ER (5 R), 3 K, 2 BB through 5.1 IP.
- B. Zobrist: 2-4, R
- H. Matsui: 2-3, R, RBI
- J. Molina: 1-3, RBI
- Rays' bullpen (McGee, Davis, Rodney): 0 ER, 2 H, 5 K, BB through 3.2 IP.
Rays News and Notes:
- Both David Price and Fernando Rodney will represent the Rays in the All-Star Game next week. No position players from the Rays were elected.
- The Rays have signed Dominican catcher Erick Maria, per Ben Badler of Baseball America.
- The Rays will have a chance to makeup ground on the Yankees this week, as they take on New York for a three-game series at the Trop starting Monday. Matt Moore (4-5, 4.19) will take on Freddy Garcia (2-2, 6.39) as the Rays look to get back on track.