After losing Game 1 of the series Friday night (sorry we couldn't get a recap up for that game), the Rays bounced back with a very much-needed win Saturday against the Red Sox. All-Star David Price squared off against Clay Buchholz (in his return from the DL), and both had themselves strong outings.
The game was scoreless until the bottom of the third inning, when the Rays got on the scoreboard via a Sean Rodriguez sac fly.
Boston struck right back in the fourth, however, as rookie Will Middlebrooks belted a two-run homer to give the Red Sox the 2-1 lead.
The Red Sox kept the pressure on in the fifth. With the bases loaded and one out Pedrio Ciriaco lined a ball to Ben Zobrist in right field, to set up what would be the game-changing play of the night. Kelly Shoppach attempted to tag and score on the play, but thanks to some very slow running and an awful slide, Shoppach was thrown out and ended the inning.
Then in the bottom half of the inning, Jeff Keppinger crossed the plate to tie the game as Jose Molina knocked him in with a groundball (and reached on an error).
In the sixth, Boston retook the lead thanks to a defensive miscue by the Rays. With a runner at third and two outs, Price attempted to pick off Mike Aviles as he danced off the base, and threw the ball away giving the Red Sox a 3-2 lead.
The Rays rallied in the seventh, though, scoring two runs with an RBI walk from Jose Lobaton and a sac fly off the bat of Elliot Johnson. Those two runs would end up being all the Rays needed, but B.J. Upton added some insurance in the eighth with a solo homer.
Fernando Rodney came in to close out the 5-3 game, and notched 26th save of the year.
Notable Stat Lines
- D. Price (W, 12-4): 6 H, 3 R (2 ER), 8 K, 3 BB, E1 through 7.1 IP.
- B.J. Upton: 1-4, HR, RBI, R
- J. Keppinger: 2-3, 2 R
- J. Molina: 1-2, RBI
Rays News and Notes
- The Rays signed first-round Draft pick Richie Shaffer to a $1.7125 million deal. Shaffer is starting the season will Class A- Hudson Valley.
- Matt Joyce (oblique) will start his minor league rehab assignment at Charlotte today and could rejoin the Rays as early as Wednesday.
- Sam Fuld is 2-13 so far in his rehab assignment in Charlotte, and is expected to move up to Durham tomorrow.
- Hideki Matsui (hamstring) is also progressing well, and could return in the next few days.
- Ben Zobrist was named the Tampa Bay Rays' Hustle Award winner.
- Here's what Evan Longoria said about his hamstring injury recently. And here's a video below: