Alex Cobb and the Rays returned home trying to stop the bleeding after a very disappointing road trip as they kicked off a four-game set with Boston. What started out to be a great game for Cobb turned into a disaster quickly, and the Rays found themselves once again on the losing end Monday night.
The Rays started off the scoring in the fifth with a suicide squeeze bunt that scored Luke Scott to give them a 1-0 lead.
Alex Cobb had a no-hitter going through 5 1/3 innings, the longest of any Rays pitcher this season. It was broken up in the sixith with a two-run home run by Jacoby Ellsbury that gave the Sox a 2-1 lead.
In the middle of the sixth as Cobb returned to the dugout, he confronted Jose Molina (who was catching) in what lead to an altercation. Jim Hickey separated the two and there wasn't any physical contact.
The Sox struck again in the seventh with an two-run single by Mauro Gomez. Jacoby Ellsbury hit another run in a few batters later with an RBI single to give Boston a 5-1 lead.
B.J. Upton scored in the ninth on a groundout by Ben Zobrist to make it 5-2, but that would be it as the offense had themselves another lousy night.
The Rays are now 78-69 and fall to five games out in the Wild Card and 5.5 games out of the division. Time's running out as just 15 games remain...
Notable Stat Lines
- Alex Cobb (L,9-9): 6 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Arron Cook (W,4-10): 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- B.J. Upton: 3-4, R
- Luke Scott: 1-2, R
- B. Zobrist: 1-4, RBI
- click here for a full box score
Rays News and Notes
- Sam Fuld has been diagnosed with a mild strain in his right hamstring. It's uncertain right now how much time Fuld will miss, but it it'll at least be a few days and he'll likely avoid the DL.
- Evan Longoria sat out Monday's game after saying he felt "heavy-legged" following the road trip. He was available for substitution however and is good to go for tonight.
- Here's more on the Cobb-Molina dugout incident.
- Tomorrow the series continues, 7:10 first pitch. The pitching matchup will be Jeremy Hellickson vs. Felix Doubront.