The Rays continue to be plagued by brutal injuries, as they don't seem to be able to catch a break. Matt Joyce, who has been the Rays' best offensive player this season (batting .279/.387/.512 with 34 RBI and 11 HR), is headed to the 15-day DL.
It's obviously the last thing the Rays need right now, as Joyce becomes the ninth player currently on the [long] disabled list. The left-haned slugger has been experiencing stiffness in his left oblique for the last few days, and it has finally landed him on the DL. Fortunately, Joyce is still convinced it's nothing serious and should be able to return as soon as he is eligible (July 5).
Here are the six other transaction moves that the Rays made on Friday:
- Joel Peralta is officially serving his eight-game suspension
- INF Drew Sutton was designated for assignment
- OF Rich Thompson was optioned to Triple-A Durham
- Jeff Keppinger (broken toe) has been reinstated from the DL
- RHP Brandon Gomes has been recalled up to join the Rays' bullpen.
- INF Brooks Conrad has been added to the active roster after being claimed off waivers
Other Rays News and Notes:
- Last night's game in Philadelphia was postponed due to rain. There will be a doubleheader to make it up on Sunday; first game will be at 1:05 and the second will be at 6:35.
- Around the division: The Yankees and Red Sox lost their games while the O's and Jays won theirs. The Rays are now three games behind New York, 1.5 games behind Baltimore, and 2.5 games over Boston.
- James Shields (7-4, 3.72 ERA) will kick off the series against Kyle Kendrick (2-7, 5.29 ERA) and the Phillies today at 4:05 first pitch.
- Around 100 people from Maddon's hometown of Hazleton, PA will attend today's game to root on Joe and [probably] the Rays.
- INF Tim Beckham has returned to Triple-A Durham after serving his 50-game suspension (drug abuse).
- The Rays are working on a deal to sign high school second-round draft pick Spencer Edwards (SS).