The Rays offense exploded in a huge way Wednesday night in Baltimore for game two of this crucial three-game series. David Price got more than he needed to notch his 14th win (MLB-best) of the season.
The Rays started off the massacre right away. Desmond Jennings hit a home run on the first pitch of the game giving the Rays the early 1-0 lead.
Carlos Pena singled later in the inning to drive in B.J Upton and put the Rays up 2-0. Two batters later, Jose Lobaton was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Elliot Johnson singled next to drive in two and give the Rays a commanding 5-0 lead.
J.J. Hardy scored the only run of the game for the O’s with an RBI single in the bottom of the first.
Ryan Roberts, making his Rays debut after being acquired in a trade from Arizona, hit a two-run blast in the third to put the Rays up up 7-1. It was his first hit as a Ray.
Then in the fifth, Jose Lobaton hit his first career home run. The homer was a three-run shot to deep right field, which gave the Rays a 10-1 lead.
The Rays now improve to 51-47. They are tied with the O’s for second in the division, and are just 2.5 games out of playoff position. The Red Sox lost and are now 2.5 games behind Tampa.
Notable Stat Lines
- David Price (W,14-4) 7 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 10 K
- Miguel Gonzalez (L,2-2) 2.2 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 2 BB, 2 K
- Desmond Jennings (1-3) HR, RBI, R
- B.J. Upton (2-5) R
- Carlos Pena (1-3) 2 R, 2 BB, 1 RBI
- Ryan Roberts (1-2) 3 R, BB, 2 RBI
- click here for a full box score
Rays News and Notes
- Hideki Matsui was [finally] designated for assignment yesterday. This will likely be the end of Matsui's Rays tenure, as they have 10 days to either trade him, release him, or place him on waivers.
- Evan Longoria will begin a minor league rehab assignment starting today with Triple-A Durham.
- The Rays reportadely have a "big market" for Wade Davis.
- The James Shields to the Angels trade talks remain, but it looks like Shields will stay put with Longoria returning sooner then expected.
- The Rays finish the series this afternoon and look for the sweep; first pitch is at 12:35. James Shields will take on Chris Tillman.