Tuesday night marked the fourth straight loss for the Tampa Bay Rays. Including tonight, three of those losses have been by one run and Tuesday's loss was the fourth time the Rays lost 1-0 in month of August. It sure is a stinking darn shame that the Rays bats spoiled a great start tonight by James Shields. Shields tossed a great seven innings allowing only one home run and took the loss due to the streaky offense.
That homer came in the bottom of the fourth, when Ian Kinsler belted a solo shot to left field..
The Rays had many opportunities to score runs leaving a ton of men on base throughout night. This included second-and-third and nobody-out in the second and a bases loaded one-out situation in the fourth
Yu Darvish was impressive in his seven innings and the bullpen finished off the job.
The Rays are now 70-59. They drop a game in the wild card and the division, standing now five games out of the division and 1.5 games out of a Wild Card spot.
Notable Stat Lines:
- James Shields L(12-8) 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 K
- Yu Darvish W(13-9) 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K
- Sam Fuld (3-3) SB
- Ben Zobrist (1-3) BB
- click here for a full box score
Rays News and Notes:
- Tomorrow the Rays and Rangers end this three game series. It will be Alex Cobb (8-8, 4.32 ERA) vs. Matt Harrison (15-7, 3.04 ERA). First pitch is at 7:05 EST.
- Jeff Niemann (leg) will return from his injury and start Saturday, which means the Rays will play with a six-man rotation at least for now.
- Former first-round draft pick Josh Sale was busted for PEDs, and failed the drug test for the same thing that Ryan Brett and two other Rays minor leaguers were busted for earlier.
- Matt Joyce was pulled from last night's game with a forearm strain. He's day-to-day as of now.