Rays Win 6-0, Split Series With Cleveland
Everything clicked for the Rays today—pitching, defense, offense—as they took down the Indians 6-0 in Sunday's series finale.
David Price was his usual self, giving the Rays seven scoreless innings while notching his MLB-best 13th win of the season.
The Rays' hit Cleveland and Ubaldo Jimenez's pitching pretty well from the start of this ballgame, ending the day with 11 hits, but wouldn't score their first run until the third when solo homer off the bat of Luke Scott gave the Rays a 1-0 lead.
After some missed opportunities, the Rays blew it open in the sixth when B.J. Upton cleared the bases for a two-out three-run double. Then an RBI single by Carlos Pena drove in Upton to make it a 5-0 game.
A Jeff Keppinger RBI double added on one more run in the seventh, and that would end the scoring for the day.
Following Price's excellent outing, Wade Davis came out of the 'pen and threw two hitless innings to close out the ballgame.
Notable Stat Lines
- D. Price (W,13): 0 R, 2 H, 3 BB, 7 K through 7.0 IP. ERA now 2.64
- B.J. Upton: 3-5, 2 2B, 3 RBI, R
- C. Pena: 1-5, RBI
- L. Scott: 2-4, 2 R, RBI
- J. Keppinger: 2-3, RBI, 2B, 3B, BB
- J. Molina: 2-3, R, BB, SB (ya, I was shocked too)
- W. Davis: 0 H, 0 R, BB, K through 2.0 IP. ERA now 2.76
- Click here for a full boxscore
Rays News and Notes
- Jose Molina's stolen base today is definitely a story line. It's his 13th in his 13 year career, so I'm somewhat impressed that he's averaging a stolen base per year. Check out the graceful run and slide:
- Matt Joyce was out of the lineup today due to stiffness and soreness. He was available to pinch hit though, and will likely be okay for this weekend.
- MLBTradeRumors.com has all the updates for you on Rays trade rumors. Some interesting talks, but nothing seems serious yet.
- The Rays kick off a three-game set against the Mariners Friday night at the Trop. James Shields (8-6, 4.44) will take the mound against Hisashi Iwakuma (1-2, 5.13). And remember, Star Wars Day is on Sunday!