Rays Win 7-1, Sweep Jays
The Rays swept Toronto Sunday afternoon, as Matt Moore and Tampa's starting rotation delivered another quality start.
Moore ran into trouble in the first, allowing a balk with a runner on third to give the Blue Jays an early 1-0 lead. However, it would only go uphill from there for Moore and the Rays.
The Rays' bats came alive in the bottom of the second, when a Jose Lobaton bloop single knocked in two runs to give the Rays a 2-1 lead. Later in the inning, an RBI groundout by B.J. Upton extended their lead to 3-1.
The Rays kept it coming in the third via a Ryan Roberts RBI single.
Then in the fourth, Evan Longoria came through with an RBI single to extend the Rays' lead to four.
In the fifth, Lobaton batted in his third RBI of the ballgame when he singled to tack on another insurance run for the Rays.
Down to the eighth inning, Longoria continued his good day when he belted an RBI double off the very top of the left-centerfield railing. The ball was crushed and came less than an inch from a two-run homer, but after video replay by the umpiring crew the call stood as a double.
Notable Stat Lines:
- M. Moore (W,9-7): 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K through 6.0 IP
- B.J. Upton: 1-5, RBI, R
- E. Longoria: 3-5, 2 RBI
- J. Keppinger: 3-4, R
- R. Roberts: 1-3, RBI, R, BB
- J. Lobaton: 2-4, 3 RBI
Rays News and Notes:
- The Rays' defense is now errorless in their last eight games, a season-high streak.
- Ben Zobrist made his first start at shortstop today since 2009. Ryan Roberts started at second.
- DRaysBay.com has a Rays stadium update.
- The Rays begin a three-game series in Minnesota this weekend. Jeremy Hellickson (6-7, 3.43) will start the series opener against Cole De Vries (2-2, 3.81); first pitch at 8:10 ET.