Vogt Traded to A's, Niemann Put on DL
The Rays traded minor league utility man Stephen Vogt to the A's yesterday in exchange for a player to be named later or cash. The 28-year-old has been in the organization since 2007, and made his MLB debut last year with an 0-for-25 stint.
Another Rays roster move yesterday: The Rays placed Jeff Niemann on the 15-day DL with shoulder soreness. Throughout spring training, Niemann claimed that his unusually low velocity wasn't a concern, but it apparently it may have been all along. Right-hander Brandon Gomes—who nearly earned a spot in the Opening Day bullpen after a strong spring—will replace him.
The Rays play the Indians tonight at 7:10 ET for Game 2 of the three-game set. Highly-touted top prospect Trevor Bauer will make his anticipated MLB debut versus Alex Cobb.
More News and Notes:
- The Rays won last night 4-0. Unfortunately I wasn't able to put up a recap for the game
- Chris Davis' ridiculous tear continued beyond Tropicana Field, as he knocked in 5 RBI including a game-winning grand slam last night. He's now hitting .600 to start the year with four homers and 16 RBI.
- Scores from around the division yesterday: The Yankees lost to the Tigers 8-3, The O's beat the Twins 9-5, and Boston beat Toronto 6-4. The Red Sox also shutout out the Jays 5-0 earlier today behind J.A. Happ.
- Mark Teixeira is still 8-10 weeks from returning. Derek Jeter is expected to come back around May 1st.
- Check out episode 3 of The Podcast Report.
- The Rays played paintball against the professional Tampa Bay Damage. Here's a video below: